Monday, March 2, 2015

Contouring

Contouring

Hello everyone! 

Didn't M's post on Bath Body Works get you all excited for Spring/Summer! Mmmm I can see sunsets and smell coconut sunscreen!

Another makeup post! I hope you guys like hearing about makeup, because I LOVE talking about it!
The contouring routine that I am going to talk about today is FABOOSH and will make you feel like a bombshell! I used this routine a lot in the summer for weddings and special event!

***All of the makeup is drugstore. I have given ELF alternatives to any higher end brushes I used, and I have also given names of Dupes for the pricier Drugstore makeup :)****



I had a cold all weekend, so this post is a little later than promised, but here it is all shiny and sparkly and ready to go! You can't even  tell I am sick! I hope you like it!

Foundation and Highlight

What I used:
  • Smashbox Primer: This is a more expensive product, if you want to try something a little cheaper, Garnier 5 Sec. Blur, has received really good reviews!
  • Covergirl Outlast 3 in 1 foundation: 910
  • Maybelline Age Rewind:  210 Fair
  • Small Stipple brush. I used my sephora small stipple brush. But Elf has a great $3 option 
  • Quo Beauty blender: $5 at Shoppers Drugmart
Step 1: I apply my primer and then a light coat of foundation. This is a multi-layered routine, I don't want it to be cakey.

Step 2. I apply my Concealer: In this routine I use quite a lot of highlighting concealer.
Where: Chin, center forehead, up the bridge of the nose, and Eye triangles down the sides of the nose and up towards temple. 

Blend it out: When using this much concealer I like to use a small stipple brush, because beauty blenders tend to thin out product, and I want to keep it thick. When I am done evening it out with my stipple brush, I do genntttlllyyyyyyy go over it with my damp beauty blender to smooth it out. Try to keep the product where you put it. Very gently blend out the edges, because you will be doing more blending when you blend out the contour.


Important Notes:
  • The highlighting step is really important, it helps you achieve the full look! :) 
  • Remember to use a concealer that is Much Lighter than your skin tone! I use the lightest one they have.
  •  Don't apply powder yet
Now that my face has an even skin tone (step 1) and certain parts of my face have been highlighted/lifted forward (step 2) I am ready to contour!


Products and Tools for the Contour:
  • Fit Me: Go darker than your skin tone. I got the darkest shade because I wanted to do a dramatic contour for you. For a more natural look you could use Revlon Photoready Insta-Fix in the shade Rich Ginger. I'll post a picture this week of me wearing the 'Rich Ginger'.
  • Mid Size Stippling Brushes:  I used my Elf  small stipple brush ($3). You don't need two, just make sure you wash them between the two steps.
  •  Quo beauty blender ($5 at Shoppers Drugmart). Soak it in water until it is as big as it can get, and then squeeze out all of the water you can. Now it is ready to use! :)

  • Hoola Bronzer by Benifit. This bronzer looks natural because it has no sparkle or shimmer, and it has an ashy undertone (rather than orange). It will last you FOREVER as well, so it is worth the money! If you don't feel like spending the money (I often don't) NYC Sunny Bronzer is a good dupe!
  • Contouring Brush: I used my Elf blush brush, it has a great angle for cheek bone lines. ($3 on eyeslipsface.com) 
  • Fluffy makeup brush: Any soft big fluffy powder brush will do. I got mine from The Body Shop.






Contouring:
Step 1: I apply the Fit Me like so! If you have a small forehead you are going to do the line closer to your hair line. you cant tell in these pictures, but I also have line just under my jaw line to make that jaw line look chiseled!
If you need help finding your cheek bone line, check out my tips and tricks HERE.


Step 2: With my midsized stippling brush, I move it along the contour lines in circular motions, blending out the line but keeping the contrast. This brush gives you more control than a beauty blender would.
When you are done this step you can always use your damp beauty blender to smooth/blend out any chunky or uneven spots (dab... don't swipe).
Note: make sure you keep the highlight down the middle of the nose!
  Make sure to very lightly swoop the product under the apples of your cheeks!

Step 3: Make sure you highlight is still bright, sometimes I put on some more concealer at this point to keep it crisp. :)

Step 4: Time to set my highlight. I take my Translucent powder,  and dust it over my highlighted areas!

Step 5: Time to set my contour: Using my Elf blush rbsuh, I go over my original contour lines (imagine where they were) with my Hoola Bronzer. I then use a big fluffy brush brush to blend it out. Do not over blend! Keep your contrast!


I would just like to mention the elephant in the room... My Camera died right after the first part of my photo shoot, so I had to finish the shoot with my Iphone 4 Waaaa Waaaaaaa! I mean really, I could have just waited and charged it... butttt If you know me, then you know I am the most impatient person in the world! If I want something to happen I want it to start NOW! luckily the Iphone 4 photos actually show the contour really well, they just make me look a lot more tanned than I am!! So WhatEVA!
The Pictures I took with my nice camera are at the top :)

 


You are now done the contouring portion! (Yay!)

Whats next...
  • Add blush
  • Add glow highlight
  • Spray with setting spray (if you wish). This is very optional, setting spray just freshens it up a bit and makes it last longer. ELF  and NYX have very affordable ones.
DONE!
 

EXTRA INFO:

The ROLE of BLUSH!

Blush is one of those makeup products that is often over looked in importance. If you are wearing a full face look like this, blush becomes even more important because your natural blush is less likely to show through. Blush gives you that healthy looking glow and warmth, and has a certain  freshness that is equated with youth and health!
A lot of people say they have trouble telling how much to wear, or they worry about ruining their makeup by accidentally applying too much. I taught myself how to use blush by experimenting  with it at the end of the night, when I was still wearing makeup, but not going anywhere.

The Role of Highlight!
Glow Highlight: I Use my physician formula  to give my face a dewy healthy glow! It is important for a full look like this one, because it makes it look more fresh and vibrant rather than chalky and still.


Kitten Mews: Today I took kitten outside for one of the first times. I talked to kitten about the rules of outside. I thought I would  share our nice little conversation.

Me: Everything you see exists together in a delicate balance. As a kitten, you need to understand that balance, and respect all the creatures, from the crawling bug to the leaping antelope.

Kitten: But, Mamma, don't we eat the antelope?

Me: Yes, Kitten, but let me explain. When we die, our bodies become the grass, and the antelope eat the grass. And so we are all connected in the great Circle of Life.

Kitten: Everything the light touches... But what about that shadowy place?

Me: That's beyond our borders. You must never go there, Kitten.

Kitten: But I thought a kitten can do whatever he wants.

Me: There's more to being a kitten than getting your way all the time.


Kitten: There's more?

Me: [laughing] Kittenn.


Thank you so much for reading!



























12 comments:

  1. You have many great tips! I've not gotten into contouring as I'm (in typical me fashion) am afraid to become too dependent and hooked on it, but wow, it looks so awesome and you're very beautiful. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I SO know what you mean! I try to exercise those thoughts by wearing no makeup out with friends just as often as I wear full makeup out with them. I try to make it apparent that I am an illusionist hehe! No secrets and my secret! :) Thanks for reading girl!

      Delete
  2. Beautiful look! What is your highlighting concealer? The age rewind? If so, yours looks SO much better then mine haha!

    Renee
    www.losetheroad.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep its the age rewind! I gave up 'Wake me Up' for it (I love both though). I got it in 210 Fair, which is the lightest colour. Thanks girl, I'm sure yours look great too!! Maybe it is one of those funny products that you hate for a bit and then you are like 'waaa I love it!!' haha

      Delete
    2. When I used it again today, I applied a little more then a usually do and I could notice a difference!
      Also..

      I've nominated you for the Sisterhood of the world bloggers Award! You can check it out here http://losetheroad.blogspot.ca/2015/03/sisterhood-of-world-bloggers-award.html

      Delete
    3. That's awesome! Thank you so much for the nomination!! I will make sure I check that out! :)
      -S

      Delete
  3. I am trying to re-train myself to use makeup again - love the whole highlighting thing! Great post :)

    xoxo

    Kaley

    My Closet Life Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally know what you mean! I don't wear makeup much in the summer, so by the time fall comes around I am like 'How did I do this again?!?" Highlighting is the best! Thanks for reading girl!
      -S

      Delete
  4. This was an amazing post. Love how you showed photos step by step. Often we forget that highlighting is just as important as the adding depth with the contour shade :)

    Erin | Erin and Katherine Talk Beauty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks girl! I tied out some ideas I have come across with my product pictures. So true! I tried to emphasize the importance of keeping that highlight crisp! :)
      Thanks for reading Erin!

      Delete
  5. amazing blog post !!

    lovely blog you have here

    would love to know your thoughts on my new post Jadiee'sLittleBlog

    MyBlogloving

    MyFacebook

    Have a nice day

    Jade

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi :) I have nominated you for The Versatile Blogger Award: http://hushhush990.blogspot.com/2015/03/the-versitile-blogger-award.html

    I love your blog and your style! :)

    xoxo Ana

    ReplyDelete